Saturday 9 November 2013

Percy Jackson & the lightning thief by Rick Riordan Book Review

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

My Rating: 5/5 stars


I've heard so many good things about this series for such a long time but never had the time to pick it up. Then i made the mistake of watching the movie before i read the book but it didn't really make a difference because the book was so different to the movie. The book so SO much better(obviously).



Percy is such a lovable character. He's so funny and brave for a 12 year old. I loved the Annabeth-Grover-Percy trio and it was so much fun to see them go on their adventures. The plot was action-packed and fast-paced. There was always something interesting going on. It never had a dull moment and never made me feel bored or want to put it down. I fly threw it.  Even though i was a children's book and from the POV of a 12 year old it didn't make me love it any less. I really think people of all ages can read it.

The Greek Mythology aspect was done so well. Everything fit together and it was so interesting to learn about Greek mythology which has always fascinated me.
I can't think of any negatives or things i didn't like and i hope it stays that way for the rest of the series which i will definitely be picking up. Then hopefully, i'll get to read the spin-off series which apparently is even better than this one!

My Favorite Quote:
Braccas meas vescimini!"
I wasn't sure where the Latin came from. I think it meant 'Eat my pants!” 
-Tess xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment